We may or may not be having a change in the Oval Office soon, and yes, that outcome will affect all of us in some way. It always does.
Unfortunately, living on your social media feeds and watching the vitriol back and fourth can make things seem mounds worse. Hey, I do it, too. I scroll and worry…mutter and panic about things, until I get outside and realize, no matter what happens there are some indisputable truths in my life that will not be altered.
1. Presidents have term limits. Yes, they still do. Senators and Congress should as well.
2. The Constitution was created for a reason; and we shouldn’t let any politician scare or guilt the American voter into underestimating its importance.
3. The Macarena should have never happened. Sorry, not sorry.
4. My oldest daughter graduated high school with honors regardless of all that happened this year. No one can take that away from her.
5. On the other hand, my youngest daughter just transitioned from elementary to sixth grade and puberty is fast approaching. This scares the high holy Hell out of me, as it likely does with every parent of girls.
6. The Rocketeer is an underrated Disney film that doesn’t get enough love.
7. Internet “hot takes” have never changed anyone’s mind on either side of an issue.
8. No matter what people think of celebrities and their overconfidence in their personal politics, you have to lift up Jon Favreau for rescuing the Star Wars franchise with The Mandalorian. Because, let’s face it, the “new trilogy” was all over the place and Poe, Finn, and Captain Phasma got seriously screwed by bad plot development.
9. I am lucky enough to be married to my best friend. When you have a significant other in your life you can be yourself around, you can get through so much more than you think.
10. The “pineapple on pizza” debate is overblown. Who cares? Order what you want! (Ketchup on macaroni, on the other hand, is an abomination).
11. People who have to be seduced into voting by celebrity campaigns and constant social media ads probably haven’t done enough homework on the issues to vote…and really shouldn’t. I say this about people of all political affiliations.
12. It doesn’t matter if Groucho Marx or Charlie Chaplin said this, it is100 percent true: “A day without laughter is a day wasted.”
13. Getting a new puppy is like having another kid…everything in the house is chewed on and moist.
14. COVID didn’t prevent or cause my cousin to succomb to cancer this year and my dad to get a terminal diagnosis with it. Cancer will always suck.
15. Come to think of it, there will always be a million (estimated count) worse things to catch than COVID, and we should quit treating it as if our human mortality only began in March.
16. Whatever side a person takes on the “wear a mask” issue, wearing them in profile pictures is just creepy. It is also okay to take it entirely off in pictures…hanging them on ears or under chins is just derpy.
17. The first Pearl Jam album is the only one worth purchasing…everything else is just…meh.
18. No matter who is elected President, they will automatically hate the curtains chosen by the last administration and change them.
19. The sun will rise and set in the same place each day, and if it doesn’t we got a whole lot more to worry about than an election.
20. As cliché as this sounds (at least in my faith) Jesus will be my savior and God remains in charge. No one can change that for me.
So, whatever happens in this “most important election of our lifetime” (at least until the next one) live your life, love like you’re Ebenezer Scrooge on Christmas morning, don’t let ANY politician from local to state to national push you around, and please try avoid The Last Jedi if you haven’t yet seen it.