Star Wars Celebration Orlando 2017 wrapped up Sunday, and boasted a good number of highlights: the heart-crushingly sweet tribute to Princess Leia and Carrie Fisher, the announcement of the game Star Wars Battlefront II coming in November, more tantalizing hints on the Disney parks’ Star Wars-themed expansions, and a ton of celebrity panels.
The big reveal was the first teaser trailer for the Episode VIII in the motion picture series: Star Wars: The Last Jedi. We get a look at Rey’s further quest and powers, some well-placed flashback images, the obligatory over-the-landscape fighter flights and explosions (much appreciated), glimpses at Finn, Kylo Ren, and Poe, and a very cryptic statement from morose Luke. Check it out:
More than anything, this weekend produced a still-ongoing barrage of fan theories, rumors, predictions, and frame-by-frame trailer breakdowns. One fan-made a video looking at all the Easter eggs in the trailer is more than 17 minutes long. This is a pretty thorough investigation considering the trailer is just under two-and-a-half minutes itself.
Here are a couple of fun favorite theories and rumors:
- The new planet seen briefly is Crait, the headquarters of the Resistance, and the speeders taking on the First Order Walkers are B-Wings. The identity and purpose of the planet has been confirmed by the film's director Rian Johnson, but the ships being B-Wings has already been debunked. There was also talk of whether or not "Jedi" in the title is plural or singular (Johnson has already said it's singular).
- Luke is now a Sith, hence that little commentary at the end. Well, Luke does do his share of teetering between light and dark, but I think this is unlikely. Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hamill, actually responded to this rumor saying "anything’s possible." Obviously, considering Han and Leia no longer have awesome Jedi twins, as they have in the many, many extended universe books, but instead had an emo thug who murdered his own dad (the crummy little bastard).
- An apparent "spoiler image" has been circulating of Rey and Finn with the names Rey Kenobi and Finn Windu. This is even more unlikely, unless they're supposed to be grandchildren. Both Obi Wan Kenobi and Mace Windu checked out long before these two were born.
- Supreme Leader Snoke is actually Mace Windu. Nope. Nope! NOPE! We’re just going to stop that one right there.
Finally, and this is a fun one:
- Snoke is a time-traveling Kylo Ren. Wow, how Doctor Who meets Marty McFly is that? Pretty far-fetched, but there are also rumors Snoke is actually Palpatine, Boba Fett or, yes, Jar Jar Binks.
All those these ideas are ridiculous. Everyone knows Snoke is really Golum.
The trolling has been creative, to say the least, and a combination of love and cynicism only Star Wars fans can achieve when it comes to the franchise in which they've found themselves so invested.
My favorite has been all the lunch hour PhotoShop mashups of newly revealed poster (an tribute to the style of A New Hope, is appears), taking a Last Jedi style makeover to movies and shows ranging from Deadpool to The Walking Dead.
[caption id="attachment_6810" align="alignnone" width="914"] Say what you will about them, but Star Wars fans have a great sense of humor.[/caption]
The latest are a few stories and videos showing the teasers for The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens, are pretty much the same teaser. Despite the theories, rumors and critiques, the cosplay-bedecked fans will form lines around their local movie house to catch one of the first viewings this latest Star Wars flick.
And yes, my family already has Christmas break plans for our date with The Last Jedi, although part of me is still hoping Luke wakes up and tells Mara Jade what weird dream he's been having.